10.20.2010

Grand Designs

I've just finished watching this weeks Grand Designs, the first i've watched in the new series. I used to watch this programme obsessively but because they played so many repeats I lost interest, but i'm very happy i watched this weeks episode! The episode this week 'Lizard Peninsula' (still not sure why its called that...) was all about Interior Designer Kathryn Tyler. I have to say Kevin McCloud was a little patronising about interior designers (going with the stereotype I had a rant about in my first post). He seems to think that all of us are into fabric and light fittings and was so shocked that Kathryn was so detail orientated and had thought about almost everything in her self managed project. But i'm not getting into another rant, I just think that Kathryn is hugely inspirational and built an amazing house, which might I add came in under budget, the only programme I remember watching which did so. I loved the exterior of the house, however some of the interiors, for me, were a bit too retro. The house was totally to her taste though, which is much better than some of the cold interiors you see that have no character at all. Although the house was pretty cool, Kathryn Tyler was what interested me the most about the programme. Further researching her I found out she in fact studied Graphic Design and then went into Interior Design, quite impressive then that she managed to build her own house so successfully as well as apparently doing a few projects at once in her career. She is clearly very driven and its quite the inspiration, if in ten years i've achieved as much as she has I will be one happy Interior Designer!





The finished house. 





Images from here & watch the episode here!

No comments:

Post a Comment